- SHREDDED CHICKEN
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ head green cabbage, shredded
- 1-2 heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt to taste
- TACO SHELLS
- 12 white corn tortillas
- Frying oil (vegetable, canola, peanut, etc.)
- CHIPOTLE MAYO
- ¼ cup mayo or homemade aioli
- ½ teaspoon chipotle in adobo sauce
- Sliced avocado for garnish
- Extra lime for garnish
Puffy Taco Shells:
- Place chicken breasts in a pot and cover with cold water. Add one teaspoon of salt and garlic cloves. Bring to a boil over high heat and let boil for 30 seconds. Turn off heat, place the lid on the pot, and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts and let cool. Shred the chicken.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Add yellow onion, shredded chicken, cumin, and salt to taste. Sauté chicken and onions until the chicken is lightly browned. (Tip: Leave the chicken alone in the pan until the bottom side is browned for chicken with perfectly crispy edges that's not dried out). Turn off heat and set aside.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, and salt to a bowl and mix thoroughly. Can be made ahead and stored in fridge.
Puffy Taco Shells:
- Heat 2 inches of frying oil in a sauté pan until hot.
- Place one tortilla in the hot oil. Immediately flip it over with a pair of tongs. Take one side of the tortilla and, using your tongs, fold it over to the other side without allowing the sides to touch.
- Holding your taco shell in place, fry one side for about 30 seconds. Flip the tortilla and fry the other side for 30 seconds. (You only want to lightly fry these shells. They will not be crispy but will hold their shape).
- Drain cooked taco shell on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Mix the chipotle in adobo sauce into the mayo until blended.
- Assemble tacos by smearing some of the chipotle mayo on the inside of the shell. Add chicken, slaw, and top with avocado and a squeeze of lime.