- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Cloves Diced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Diced Shallot
- 2 Teaspoons Chopped Rosemary
- 2 Teaspoons Thyme
- 6 Ounces Black Pepper Linguine
- 1 Head Broccoli
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Dandelion Greens, chopped into 2" pieces
- Squeeze Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Diced Bacon
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese*
- Salt To Taste
- *I used Indigo Ridge from River Whey creamery, which is a “Gouda style with a Gruyere flair”, but traditional carbonara features parmesan which can be substituted here.
Elevate the classic carbonara with roasted seasonal veggies from the market and bitter dandelion greens sauteed in garlic herb butter.
- To make your herb butter, mix butter, herbs, garlic, and shallot with a fork until combined. Spoon the butter onto a piece of parchment paper or plastic
- wrap, form into a log and wrap well. Chill until needed
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until just al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- While waiting for pasta to boil, preheat the oven to 400• F. Cut your broccoli into bite size florets. Coat your broccoli and cherry tomatoes with olive oil and a generous pinch of salt, then spread on a sheet pan. Bake until broccoli starts to crisp and tomatoes burst (about 30 min)
- Meanwhile set cast iron or nonstick skillet to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of your herb butter along with the dandelion greens and a pinch of salt. Saute until garlic begins to brown. Remove from skillet and add a squeeze of lemon juice to cooked greens.
- Return skillet to heat and begin cooking your bacon until the edges are crispy. While bacon is cooking, whisk your eggs and yolks, pepper, and shredded cheese, and a pinch of salt together, then set aside.
- Remove bacon from the pan, retaining about 3 tablespoons of fat in skillet. Add drained pasta to the skillet and coat in bacon fat. Add ½ cup of retained pasta water to skillet and stir pasta until water beings to boil.
- Add three tablespoons of pasta water to egg mixture and whisk until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Slowly stream mixture into skillet, stirring pasta constantly. If needed, add additional pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time until the sauce is silky.
- Gently stir in sauteed dandelion and bacon. Plate and top with additional shredded cheese, cracked black pepper and your roasted vegetables.